One of our favorite ways to eat all the kale coming in from the farm!
Kale Salad, from The Esalen Cookbook
- 1/3 cup Bragg’s Liquid Aminos or tamari soy sauce
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup flax seed oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 pound fresh kale (Baby Kale is nice, and I have not found it necessary to cut the leaves at all because they are more delicate.)
- 1/2 cup sunflower sprouts
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional)
- Combine the Bragg’s (or tamari), lemon juice, and oil together in a bowl with a whisk. Slice the onion into thin half-moons and place in the bowl with the dressing. Allow the onions to marinate for at least 30 minutes while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Toast the seeds, each kind separately, in a skillet.Toast until just golden and fragrant. Cool to room temperature.
- De-stem the kale by either using a knife to slice the leaves off the stem, or use one hand to hold the edge of the stem and use your other hand to run along the stem, pulling off the leaves as your hand runs down the stem.
- Stack the kale leaves and slice into pieces.
- Toss the seeds and kale together with the marinated onions and dressing. Massage the dressing into the kale with your hands.
- Add the sliced avocado.