While these are, of course, best served still warm from the oven, our chef Sarah says the secret is to refrigerate the dough for a few minutes after portioning out the cookies.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Makes: 36 cookies
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoons water, hot
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the butter and sugars until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
- Dissolve baking soda in hot water, and add to batter along with salt.
- Stir in flour and chocolate chips.
- Drop by large spoonfuls onto ungreased pans, and refrigerate baking sheet for 5 minutes.
- Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are nicely browned.