We woke to a new year blanketed with fresh snow. What a beautiful way to start anew!
Each year, we take advantage of the quiet start to the new year for some valuable, refreshing planning and community time. This year, our staff retreat took place at YMCA Camp Marston, just down the road from us. We played games, folk danced, shared ideas, brainstormed plans, and enjoyed our time together, after a long December break.
Elsewhere in January:
- We welcomed back Jacob to our spring resident staff.
- We kicked off Julian volleyball season: This year’s team, the Squash Bucklers, has started the season off strong, both on the court, and in the stands. Our team is the only one that always has snacks — thanks Delaney! And check out that silkscreen — thanks Olivia!
- Winter squash: It’s not called that because it grows in the winter, but rather because it’s hearty enough to store through the winter. It is such a treat to still be enjoying farm-fresh acorn and spaghetti squash, and to have home-grown pumpkins regularly featured in desserts and breakfasts.
- We hosted an American Association of University Women retreat for their group out of Rancho Penasquitos – they’ve been coming to Camp Stevens for their annual retreat for 35 years!
- We also hosted retreats from both Point Loma Nazarene and San Diego State Universities, as well as a first-time group from St. Michael’s Catholic Church.
- We bid goodbye to our Assistant Chef, Zeke, who’s heading to Washington for a new position. We wish him the best of luck! (And are hiring for an Assistant Chef – please spread the word.)
- Trevor, Ashley & Beth traveled to Camp Allen in Texas for the Annual Conference of Episcopal Camps & Conference Centers (ECCC), a gathering of the 86 Episcopal camps and centers throughout the country.
- Online registration opened for all of our 2015 programs, including our new Family Camp (Sprout: Spring Family Weekend) and our new two-week summer camp program (Epic: A Two-Week Adventure).
You know, maybe it wasn’t such a quiet January after all! We’re so looking forward to all that 2015 has in store, and hope to see you up here soon on the mountain.