A summer camp favorite adapted for home use.
Macaroni And Cheese
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 cup macaroni noodles
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 Tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 2/3 cup milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- Pinch nutmeg
- Dash Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- 1 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1-2 tablespoons oil (enough to moisten bread crumbs)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- In large uncovered pot cook macaroni about 5 to 7 mins, until tender but firm. Drain.
- Place milk in to a heavy-bottomed pot. Add bay leaf and cloves.
- Heat milk to a low boil and simmer for 10 minutes – stirring regularly.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a separate pot. Add onion and sauté until soft, then mix in flour, salt and pepper.
- Strain milk into flour mixture. Whisk in milk until it boils and thickens (making sure no flour lumps remain).
- Add Worcester sauce, nutmeg, Tabasco, and cheese. Stir to melt cheese.
- Stir in macaroni and place in greased 2 qt. casserole dish.
- Gently mix together Panko bread crumbs, oil and salt and pepper. Sprinkle over macaroni and cheese.
- Cook uncovered in 350 oven for 30 minutes, until bubbling and lightly browned.