It’s hard to believe that fall is really here – especially since it’s currently 100 degrees in Julian – but the calendar tells us so. It’s time for apples, crunching leaves, early darkness and pumpkin pie!
Here are some things we got up to in September at Camp Stevens:
- We welcomed over 300 people from all over the world (Hungary! Japan! Ohio!) to celebrate Peter and Vicki Bergstrom’s retirement and Camp Stevens’s 60thAnniversary. Thank you to all who came out for the weekend of reflection, celebration, and plenty of good ol’ fashioned lawn time.
- We hosted the annual teambuilding retreats for 6th graders from St. Margaret’s of Scotland, 7th graders from the Bishop’s School and 8th graders from Our Lady of Grace.
- One weekend, we hosted 5 different groups from 5 different Episcopal churches across both the San Diego and Los Angeles Dioceses.
- We celebrated the 5thanniversary of the Angel Fire, which damaged over 70 acres and 15 buildings on-site in 2007. Most of the buildings are rebuilt, and the forest is in the midst of a beautiful recovery!
- For the first time that anyone can remember, we welcomed two groups in one day – only one of which we were prepared for. You know your staff is full of rockstars when a group of 100 becomes a group of 150 and the program and kitchen staff barely blinks an eye.
- On September 21st, a fire sparked on the northwest edge of our property, the flames of which we could see from the Dining Hall. We evacuated, and watched with anxiety and gratitude as helicopters dropped waterbucket after waterbucket. The fire spread to about 15 acres, but did no structural damage to our property, or our neighbors’. Thank you fire fighters!
- Less than 24 hours after returning from that evacuation, we hosted a wedding. Congratulations John and Victoria!
- Above all, we’re all settling into the new phase of Camp Stevens, with Beth Bojarski as our Executive Director. You can read her take on what’s going on each week right here.
With a September like that, how could we not be excited to see what October brings?